My flight to New Zealand included a 12-hr layover in Melbourne. Took the red-eye flight so had a full day to squeeze in as much of the city as I could. First mission... find food. The food scene in Melbourne is really good so it was hard to choose. I went to White Mojo and got the Magic coffee to revive my corpse-like body and their infamous White Mojo Croissant Burger -- soft shell crab, pickled cucumber, chipotle mayo, smoked eel, fried egg. This brunch was made for me.
Meandered through Victoria Gardens.
I like how Melbourne has a mix of old and modern architecture in its city center and a lot of art, from garden sculptures to graffiti.
I caught myself walking on the right side of the sidewalk instead of the left and had to keep correcting myself to avoid oncoming foot traffic, just like they drive cars on the left side of the road. All New Zealand drivers should feel very safe that I am about to enter their country behind the wheel of an overly large SUV... whether I will be able to see over the steering wheel is still questionable.
Wandered around Fitzroy, which is the hipster-ish district. This part of town had a lot of character and really eccentric shops and restaurants, I loved it here! Grabbed a beer at the rooftop bar of Naked for a Satan.
Got some pistachio-mouse goodness from Brunetti's. (Thanks to Nicolo for the scenic beer and delicious dessert suggestions.)
The city at night.
Then hopped on my flight at midnight to Christchurch. I was exhausted from walking all day and looking forward to the whole 3 hrs of sleep I would get on the plane before taking on New Zealand!!
I like how Melbourne has a mix of old and modern architecture in its city center and a lot of art, from garden sculptures to graffiti.
I caught myself walking on the right side of the sidewalk instead of the left and had to keep correcting myself to avoid oncoming foot traffic, just like they drive cars on the left side of the road. All New Zealand drivers should feel very safe that I am about to enter their country behind the wheel of an overly large SUV... whether I will be able to see over the steering wheel is still questionable.
Wandered around Fitzroy, which is the hipster-ish district. This part of town had a lot of character and really eccentric shops and restaurants, I loved it here! Grabbed a beer at the rooftop bar of Naked for a Satan.
Got some pistachio-mouse goodness from Brunetti's. (Thanks to Nicolo for the scenic beer and delicious dessert suggestions.)
The city at night.
Then hopped on my flight at midnight to Christchurch. I was exhausted from walking all day and looking forward to the whole 3 hrs of sleep I would get on the plane before taking on New Zealand!!
No comments:
Post a Comment