This is also a real thing here -- skin-eating fish spas... because if you're going to remove your dead foot fungus skin you might as well recycle it back into the food chain. I just stole this pic, didn't actually do it, but next time I'll make sure I give those fish the pleasure of eating my feet.
Met up with Anna, from Munich, who I bonded with over baby elephants, rice milling and mud fights at the elephant sanctuary earlier that day... all the normal beginnings of a friendship. She's the definition of a true backpacker (couch-surfing & hitchhiking with strangers, both things that cause me anxiety in my 30s) and inspired me to stop being such a planner :). We got German beers at the Beer Lab outside of the Old City.
Afterwards I ordered more street food than I could eat at the North Gate.
Tried my best to do the food scene here justice, but in the end I didn't have enough time to make it to the spots I had in mind. If you want some foodie articles on Chiang Mai:
Sounds like a wonderful experience in Northern Thailand. Never had much of a desire to visit until reading your experience. It's now on my bucket list.
ReplyDeleteHaving visited Taiwan several times, I never had much of a desire to visit Southeast Asia until my friends kept telling me how much they loved it. Now I want to go back to Thailand and also visit Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos, etc. It's just such a different world over there but easy to get around, super cheap and most importantly the food is AMAZING. :)
Delete